Saturday, May 26, 2012

A Local Peregrine Falcon Nest

A few days ago, I got a tip from another birder about the presence of a local Peregrine Falcon nest. So yesterday morning I went to the site and checked it out. I had been waiting less than five minutes when one of the parents flew into sight and perched nearby (shown above). The chicks started calling and the adult called back in response. Around the same time, I got a brief look at what I assume was the other parent flying a short distance away.

Changing my position a few yards, I was able to get a better view of the nest. Unfortunately the angle was such that I was not able to see into the nest, but two of the chicks were perched at the edge. (I heard there are three, but I only saw two myself.) One of them was especially vocal and was flap-hopping around the ledge. Its wings looked developed enough that it probably will not be in the nest much longer. The adult made one delivery to the nest in the few minutes I was there, accompanied by even louder screaming.

Unfortunately my photos of the nestlings are not so good. I probably would have gotten better results on a sunny afternoon. I am not giving the exact location for this nest since it is still a state endangered species.