Sunday, December 04, 2005

Birds at the National Arboretum

This afternoon I walked my usual circuit around the National Arboretum in northeast DC. When I first arrived, I was greeted by a great look at a young red-shouldered hawk as it soared over Heart Pond. At the same time, a pileated woodpecker was calling in the woods near the pond, but I did not find the bird. On the pond itself, there was an American black duck along with the usual mallards.

The Asian Gardens were full of birds. Red-breasted nuthatches are still residing in the numerous conifers at the top of the hill. The one I saw this afternoon posed head-down on the trunk of a scrub pine near the red gazebo. White-breasted nuthatches, several woodpeckers, and white-throated sparrows were among the other birds present. I saw several chickadees, but none appeared to be black-capped. Fern Valley held a similar combination.

Several trees in the arboretum had what appeared to be whitewash on the trunks - a possible sign of owls nearby. I did not find any today, but I hope I might sometime this winter.

Earlier today I saw a large red-tailed hawk perched in the park near my apartment.

SPECIES SEEN: 28

Mallard
American Black Duck
Red-shouldered Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Ring-billed Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Rock Pigeon
Belted Kingfisher
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Carolina Wren
Northern Mockingbird
American Robin
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Red-breasted Nuthatch
White-breasted Nuthatch
Blue Jay
American Crow
Fish Crow
European Starling
House Sparrow
American Goldfinch
White-throated Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Northern Cardinal